Saturday, July 12, 2008

Quick And Easy Summer Salad

When the veggies start rolling in from the garden and I have no more leafy greens because the temperatures are much too hot for lettuces, this is a staple in my salad repertoire. I can't take credit for this ... my mom, aunts & uncles and so forth have been doing this fresh from their gardens for many, many years!


Tomato, Cucumber and Pepper Salad
  • 2 large, ripe tomatoes cut into chunks
  • 1 large cucumber, cut into chunks
  • 1 large green pepper, cut into chunks
  • 1/4 medium onion, diced very small
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 1/2 cup of a flavorful extra vigin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup vinegar (balsamic, white, apple cider ... any will do)
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1 tblsp sugar (or more, to taste)
  • 1/4 tsp dried ground mustard
  • Fresh basil
  • Fresh parsley
Mix all of the vegetable ingredients in a bowl. You can add as much fresh parsley and basil as you would like to suit your tastes. I always cut up about one sprig of parsley (maybe 10 leaves) and about 5 large basil leaves. Toss to mix.

In a small bowl, add the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar and mustard. Whisk until well combined. I find that if I use balsamic vinegar (as it is already sweet) I can cut down on the sugar. Apple cider vinegar turns out JUST right and if I use a white vinegar, I need to add a pinch more sugar as the acid content is higher.

Pour the dressing over the veggies and mix well. I find that if I make this a couple of hours before dinner and put it in the refrigerator to get good and cold, it tastes even better and the flavors meld beautifully.


You can also add chunks of fresh zucchini, yellow squash or for that matter, any other fresh vegetable. I use these because it's a total comfort food to me and every time I eat it, floods of fond memories of childhood summers, aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents come flooding into my mind. Food can do that to you!

Let me know if you come up with any other awesome mixes and creations for this salad and as always, until next time, ciao!

No comments: