Sunday, July 20, 2008

Blackberry Picking!

OK, so I totally couldn't get enough of the blackberry patch! A couple of weeks ago, I went with my friend Yoshie and I was so thankful she introduced me to this place! I had to go back a second time and get more ... and there may be a third visit. This time, I dragged my house mate, Keith, along with me. We both wound up picking about 5 pounds of berries each and then bringing a couple of pounds to his parents. It was 90-some degrees so it wasn't nearly as comfortable as the first time I went BUT as much fun. The bushes were brimming with large and luscious purple berries and as you tasted a few, the warm juices popped in your mouth with a sensation that is indescribable. The only thing I can say is that it brought back a lot of childhood memories.

When I was a youngster, we'd spend a lot of time with my parents' families in Pennsylvania. In July, we'd get dressed in long sleeves and jeans and my mom, dad, cousin Greg, Aunt Rosie, Uncle Nutsy (his real name is Paul ... go figure!) and I would trek into the woods with our 2 gallon metal buckets and spend the day picking blackberries. Now imagine, it wasn't a berry patch. You had to hunt for them and they were the real thorny strains that actually hurt sometimes when you picked them. The briars would get in the way and you'd always come home with a few scratches. However, the minute we could wash a bowl full and pour some really cold, whole milk and sugar on them, we'd gobble them up and they'd disappear. My Aunt Rosie is a champion baker and would make the most exquisite blackberry pies from our excursions. She'd also freeze some and later in the year, there was always a great treat at her house.

My uncle is no longer with us but I have to say, my aunt is still a champion baker ... just much less frequently than she used to be. We don't all go picking anymore but occasionally, as an adult, you will do things that totally remind you of your childhood ... and blackberry picking is one of those things for me!





Keith and I went to a place called Kelley's Berry Farm outside of Lebanon, Tennessee. The actual address is 50 Riverview Lane, Castalian Springs, TN 37031 and is just across the Trousdale County line. But for me, the drive is beautiful and peaceful and just enough out of the way to make it a great half day event.


It's a place I highly recommend as their bushes are thornless and the rows are wide, easy to navigate and well maintained. To check on their current seasons, the phone numbers are 615-633-1426 or 615-374-3050 and they are open 7AM to 6PM Monday through Saturdays when fruit is in season. They do have some things already picked even though to get back to nature, I suggest picking your own!


I can't vouch for all of the berries as I've only picked blackberries there, but it seems to me that the rest of the berry farm is in as good a shape, easy to navigate and as fruitful as the blackberries. They have strawberries in May, blackberries in June and July and blueberries in July and August. I think they also have raspberries but I didn't confirm that. The blackberries are $2.50 per pound for pick-your-own and a bucket that holds 5 pounds will only set you back $12.50 AND is a worthwhile, healthy investment for desserts, pies, muffins, or just eating. And remember, berries hold a lot of antioxidants and cancer fighting agents.


I'm sure I'll head back for the blueberries if not one more trip for blackberries before then. But the next project is peaches. They're starting to come in plentifully in middle Tennessee. I'm sure I'll be motivated to write a few blog entries about canning peaches, peach jam and other creative peach "dishes" that are easy to make! As always, until next time, ciao!



A beautiful butterfly in the blackberry patch!



2 comments:

Amanda said...

Those would be delicious in a cobbler. MMMM. You made the BEST cobbler I've ever had.

I was thinking recently that you should compile this blog into a cookbook. Delicious sounding!

Kevin F. Raymond said...

I am thinking that the next entry will be a recipe for blackberry cobbler! However, one could use blueberries, peaches, whatever's handy......