Saturday, February 5, 2011

Motivated to Scones!

Cream Scones

I was suckered into watching "Nanny McPhee Returns" today by my roommate, Keith, and of course, I guess watching a movie set in England made me want a good afternoon tea. So I decided to make scones and a "fake" clotted cream that tastes really amazing. Of course, it's not real Devonshire cream but it'll do in a pinch! I've had this recipe for a while (it's not my own) but I thought I'd share in case anyone got a craving....

Belinda's Tea Room Scones


Ingredients:

2 cups Flour (preferably cake flour)

2 Tsp Baking Powder

1/2 Tsp Salt

4 Tbs cold Butter

1/4 cup Sugar (1/3 cup Sugar if you don’t plan on eating them with jam and cream)

1/2 cup Milk


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.

3. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and enough

milk to mix to a soft dough (but not wet or overly sticky).

4. Turn onto a floured surface, knead lightly (don’t over mix) and roll out to a 1 1/2-inch

thickness. Cut into 2-inch rounds and place on the prepared baking sheet.

(You may also just gently form some balls in your hands and place on baking sheet,

like drop biscuits.)

5. Position rack high in the oven and Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 10-15 minutes

then cool on a wire rack.

Break open, spread on some clotted cream, and add a dab of jam on top. (If you don’t feel like making clotted cream, just whip some heavy cream until thick.)


Serve on pretty china, with a strong cup of tea. Add milk (not half & half) and sugar to taste. The only thing left to do is sit down and enjoy your real English Afternoon Tea. Pinky sticking out is optional.



Imitation Clotted Cream


1 8oz pkg cream cheese

1-3 tbsp white sugar

1 pinch of salt

1 cup heavy cream

6-8 oz sour cream


Mix all together till stiff peaks form. I used about 2 tbsps sugar, and Oh my, I could just eat this stuff out of the dish all by itself....


And as always, until next time, ciao.....!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Yum! Let me know the next time your planning afternoon tea. I'll make sure to drop by!